Unit Menus: The POWER of Student Choice


Hello!

I have had several requests for a video on my unit menus.  Finally, Here it is!  Just in time for the end of school.  I hope you will consider trying these in your classroom next year.  And as always, if you have any questions or need suggestions please do not hesitate to reach out to me.  Have a wonderfully relaxing summer break.  You earned it, teach!


Karen (MsRazz ChemClass)


Ms. Razz is an enthusiastic chemistry teacher in New Jersey.  She often counts herself to sleep at night using molecules or by reciting Avogadro's number. (For real.) She believes that every student has the power to learn anything, even chemistry.  After all, she remembers this hustle didn't always come easy to her. She's also a Teachers Pay Teachers seller and you can view and purchase her lessons here.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this. I have some management questions:

    Are the kids responsible for some type of output each day that holds them accountable - or do you use a rubric for student participation each day?

    Is it self paced? Ie. Can the students go on to another section within the class?

    Do you start the class with any "Do Now/review" or notes? Or have any closure recommendations?

    And do you have a recommended way students take notes from the text/your videos?

    Thanks again! You can email me at adanton@mhrd.org if it's easier. Love following your stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ariel!

      Thanks so much for your questions! I apologize for not getting back to you until now. For some reason I didn't get a notification about your comment.

      The students are not responsible for output each day - it's more like every other day they will take a formative assessment. These assessment results are then put into my online record keeping program for both students and parents to see.

      Yes, it is self-paced. It works really well in that regard because students who know they are going to be absent ahead of time will often work ahead at home.

      I do start class with a do now. For closure, I usually have the students complete a google form to identify how they are doing with time management and any questions the have on the content.

      I am dreaming up some ways to convey to my students strategies for how to take notes from videos. Honestly, the learning needs for students are so different, so usually I tell my students that if what they are doing isn't helping with retention of the material, they've got to try something else. Some students write everything down and some students write very minimal, but at the end of the day, if that's what they need to be successful, then I'm all for it. About a month into the school year, the students learn very quickly they are going to be held accountable for this information. That really helps.

      I hope that helps! Please feel free to respond here if you have any further questions.

      Delete