A S.M.A.R.T. mid-year reflection


Happy Sunday!

I hope you had a great week with your students.  At last midterms are over and, as you might expect,  I didn't waste any time getting back into the full swing of things.

I did, however, start off the second semester differently than I have in the past.  Reflection has always been a big part of my classroom culture, but I thought I would switch things up a bit and have my students focus on goal setting for the second semester.  I thought this would be a valuable exercise because I've been writing my own goals down, and have had much success working toward and achieving those goals.  To my surprise, this isn't a coincidence.  After doing some research, I found that writing your goals down can actually help you make strides to achieve them!  I then thought: this would be a great way to support student reflection and help improve their performance.  A win-win in my book!

So I created a digital interactive notebook (DINB) for my chemists to do just that.  The notebook walked them through the goal-setting process and at the very end, they set their own S.M.A.R.T. goals.  I've been very pleased with the goals my students have produced.  I must make sure, though, to revisit these goals throughout the semester so my students can check in on their progress.

This week's vlog includes all the details of my goal-setting digital interactive notebook, an inquiry-based single replacement lab, and how I teach my students to predict products for different reaction types.  As always, I hope you find something valuable to bring back to your classroom!




Ms. Razz is an enthusiastic chemistry teacher in New Jersey.  She often counts herself to sleep at night using molecules or by reciting Avogadro's number. (For real.) She believes that every student has the power to learn anything, even chemistry.  After all, she remembers this hustle didn't always come easy to her. She's also a Teachers Pay Teachers seller and you can view and purchase her lessons here.

No comments:

Post a Comment